Saturday, August 4, 2012

Egypt’s presidency sues 2 state-media outlets, foreign news agency, over defaming Mursi

Egypt’s presidency sues 2 state-media outlets, foreign news agency, over defaming Mursi

Egypt’s presidency has filed two lawsuits against two state media outlets and a foreign news agency on charges of defaming President Mohammed Mursi and spreading false news, an Egyptian daily reported on Tuesday citing presidential spokesperson Yasser Ali.

However, Ali did not reveal the names of the media outlets, Egypt’s Independent reported.

“We embrace freedom of expression, but we have to be meticulous about the information we publish,” Ali was quoted as saying. However, spreading news without evidence or facts causes a state of confusion in Egypt, he added.
Legal measures were also taken against a foreign news agency that allegedly fabricated an interview with Mursi, Ali said.

Mursi’s office had denied that he was interviewed by Iran’s Fars News Agency. The agency published an interview with him hours before he was declared the winner in a presidential runoff race last month, quoting him as saying that he would work to improve relations with Iran for the purpose of reaching a regional strategic.

The Egyptian daily also reported that Islamist lawyer Abdul Moniem Abdul Maqsoud on Tuesday filed a similar lawsuit with the public prosecutor on behalf of Muslim Brotherhood Supreme Guide Mohammed Badie, claiming that state TV and the state-owned Rose al-Youssef newspaper had spread false news about the Brotherhood.

The report said that the above-mentioned media outlets on July 30 falsely published that the Muslim Brotherhood had financed Hamas to buy and smuggle weapons from Egypt into Palestine, and that the Brotherhood was to blame for protests intended to shield the smuggling operations, according to Egypt’s Independent.

No comments:

Post a Comment